Saturday 21 July 2012

My DIY Wedding Stationary, Invites, Save the Dates and Thank You Cards...

Hey folks!

AS you know, I've just been very busy with our Wedding earlier this year! I told you when it was over I would share some of my crafts with you all so.... here goes!

(Ok so there weren't that many crafts, but this is a sewing blog so I don't want to be littering it with my wedding anyway... (lies.))


We started our invites as most couples do by sending out our save the dates, inspired by Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues video, black and white card pictures, unfortunately for us we didn't have a sexy US street background to shoot our video on, what with living in old Blighty so we made do with Mother in Laws wall...


We loved the overall final effect, simple and so easy. 
Step 1. Buy card and paint
Step 2. Paint said cards
Step 3. Make self look nice and get someone to take photos of you. 
Step 4. Edit them all into a picture and send said picture off to someone to print onto a postcard. 
Step 5. Write them and send them all out in the post! 

See easy! 

If only I could say the same for the invites, which, I have to be honest are my favourite invites ever!! (no bias there at all obviously!) I can't take all the credit though, most of it should really go to Lynsey, who features a lot on my blog and will continue to as she's so damn talented, but she blogs too... knotsewinteresting it's really very good! 

Anyhow I digress... 

The invites were a real labour of love both for me and Lynsey, we started brainstorming ideas a long time ago and struggled to narrow the ideas down, we had tea towels, balloons, cards that tied into a knot when you opened them and lots of other fully awesome ideas, but then practicality got the better of us.... 

So we came up with a colour scheme (wedding was fairly neutral up until then)

I knew I loved the idea of vellum stitched onto card with an image on the card and the details on the vellum (I had to get sewing in there somewhere!) and RSVP stickers, lots of fun for the guests I thought! I also really wanted string tied envelopes, which apparently you can't buy anywhere!!!! So I made them... 

Using a template and instructions from www.minieco.co.uk, I ordered some pink card and yellow A3 paper, I then photocopied the template from the site onto the paper getting it as big as I could 74% increase was the max I could fit onto each A3 sheet, then I cut, folded, glued, and split pinned it into place... Worth every hour spent on it!!!



I then stamped each of the names onto the envelopes! 

Lynsey then worked her magic to create the imagery, the instructions and the stickers, all the digital stuff that she does so well, and she even scaled it to fit my now rather random sized envelopes as well as the template sizes for moo.com where the stickers and postcards came from... 

She made a gorgeous background image, with 'festival and fun' as her rather vague brief from me... (Including all of my favourite things, bunnies, birds and bunting! Which all coincidentally start with B!)



I had these professionally printed onto card so they were of good quality, she then typed all the details of the day up so that they were ready to be printed onto vellum. 

Cute little RSVP buisness cards, which came with stickers and mini envelopes (I bought florist cards and stole the envelopes for this... 




She also created a map for us with all that important info on it, we had these printed as postcards...

And finally for fun, she made us sheets of tickets with our wedding date on which we then printed onto card and popped into the envelope. 

So then all that was left was the assembly of the invites...

Using yellow thread I stitched each vellum front to the background image, before writing the guests names onto them using pink gel pen... 

Paper clipped it together... 





Fastened it up... Then off it went for delivery!

And then it was all over...

After the stress of the wedding, we had one thing left to do, our 'Thank You' cards, the way we intended to do these was written from the start... 

Image courtesy of Amy Lewin Photography
(But I'll blog about her later...)


Thanks for your patience folks I know that was a long one, if it's inspired you at all I'd love to know! 



2 comments: